Cristiano Ronaldo hints at retirement, says upcoming season could be his last
Webdesk
|
17 Aug 2026
LISBON: Portuguese football superstar Cristiano Ronaldo has opened up about his retirement plans, indicating that the upcoming season could potentially be the final chapter of his illustrious playing career.
The 41-year-old Portugal captain said he wants to leave behind a “spectacular legacy” when he eventually steps away from professional football.
In an interview with Vogue, Ronaldo said: “This is probably my last year of football.”
Ronaldo recently married his longtime partner Georgina Rodriguez in a private civil ceremony in Portugal. The couple, who have been together since 2016, tied the knot in Cascais on August 11.
Speaking about life after football, Ronaldo said he already has plans to keep himself occupied once he retires. He expressed a desire to spend more time travelling, enjoying life and playing and watching padel, a sport he particularly enjoys.
The five-time Ballon d’Or winner said his football journey had spanned around 25 years of sacrifice, adding that he now wants to enjoy the rewards of his achievements.
Ronaldo is widely regarded as one of the greatest footballers in history. He has won five Ballon d’Or awards and major trophies with Sporting, Manchester United, Real Madrid, Juventus and Saudi Pro League club Al-Nassr.
He has also scored 976 goals for club and country and is closing in on the landmark of 1,000 career goals.
The Portugal captain has been playing for Al-Nassr for nearly four years and will continue with the Saudi club this season as he approaches the historic 1,000-goal milestone.
Ronaldo had previously been asked whether the 2026 FIFA World Cup would be his final appearance at the tournament. At the time, he said he would make the decision “with a calm mind” after consulting his family.
Comments
0 comment